Octopress is a very fun little blogging platform. As you can see, it’s what I’m using here. It’s a static site generator with enough bells and whistles to keep me happy, but which doesn’t get in the way.
Anyway, that’s not the point. The point of this post was to demonstrate how I went about provisioning this server. It’s hard to imagine anything simpler.
First: I needed a server. I’ve been working on BigV, so it seemed appropriate to use a BigV vm as a host.
Here’s the top-to-bottom set of commands I used:
1 2 3 4 5 6
And that’s it. That gives me a machine with the hostname
diner.blackkettle.alex.uk0.bigv.io, 25GiB of disc space, 1GiB of RAM
and 1 core. Totally overkill for a static site, but the smallest it’s
feasible to provision, and I’ve got a little headroom there if I want
to get clever later.
Symbiosis is Bytemark’s Debian derivative which not only takes care of a lot of sensible defaults for web hosting, but also automates away boring configuration details by generating DNS and web server details based on directory names.
I connected to the VM’s serial console with
bigv vm connect diner.blackkettle, logged in with the
root password generated as part of the imaging process, created the folder
/srv/blackkettle.org/public/htdocs, and put my public key in
At this point (given a following DNS wind), anything uploaded to that
directory would be served at
needs the webroot to be set in its Rakefile. The relevant section for
me looks like this:
1 2 3 4
Now, to publish the site in its as-before-you-seen-glory is to do:
And that’s it. Request a VM, make a folder, upload content. Done.
* This shouldn’t have been necessary. The imaging process should have done this for me. It’s possible I have a bug to track down.